Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Monday, April 11, 2011

Healthy Eats Monday: Oven Baked Chimichangas

Pin It

Printable Recipe Here


I absolutely LOVE chimichangas! I confess that I used to order this deep-fried deliciousness at every Mexican restaurant I visited. With guacamole, sour cream, the whole nine yards. I figured it out though. I love crispy food. I must have crunch, even in my icecream. But alas, I have had a change of heart (no pun intended) and now when I have the craving, I make these:



Preheat oven to 400 degrees.


Shred 2 cups of chicken.

I learned how to make chicken from my make-everything-from scratch-mother. She always boils chicken for Mexican dishes. I tried to deviate from this method the first years of marriage (because I thought chicken on the bone grossed me out), but I have slowly gone back to my roots on this one. Chicken cooked this way has much more flavor and is never dry.


Here's the method, it's very simple: (1) Buy a whole chicken from a grocery store that has a butcher. Have the butcher cut it up (it's free!), exclude the neck and gizzards. (2) Place the whole chicken in a large pot. (3) Cover with water. (4) Add dried minced onion and garlic powder, but no salt. (5) Bring to boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for about 30 minutes. (6) Take chicken out and shred. (7) Save the broth and freeze extra broth and chicken!


Ok, back to the chimichangas. You could also buy a roasted chicken and shred it up.

In a bowl, combine 1 cup picante salsa of your choice, 1 tsp. cumin, 1/2 tsp. oregano, 1 cup grated cheese, and 3 diced green onions.



Zap each tortilla in the microwave for about 8-10 seconds, this makes them more pliable. Place about 1/3 cup mixture into each whole-wheat tortilla.



Fold sides of tortillas in and place seam side down onto cookie sheet. Spray top with a little cooking spray.


Bake at 400 degrees for 25-30 minutes. Top with low-fat sour cream, salsa, lettuce, etc.


I cut these in half and my kids eat these with them hands.


This recipe was healthified by me, but originally from Jennie. Here she is:

No comments: