Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Getting Real

Pin It I have been thinking about the blogging world lately, especially the stay-at-home Mormon mommy ones. All the positivity, creativity, lovey-dovey stuff is really very inspiring, but.... is it realistic? And could we be doing each other a great disservice by only showing our best?


I then realized that a few of the blogs I am addicted to are those that talk about real life, not just the fluff. I love blogs that make me realize "I'm not the only one who feels that way about such and such" or blogs that make me laugh because they are showing the more human side of motherhood. After reading these kinds of blogs, I feel uplifted, like a weight has been lifted off of me. And just as a side not, I also enjoy creative blogs with beautiful pictures and fun blogs about nutrition, design, fashion and parenting tips. Plus I love all of my friend's and family's blogs! I enjoy seeing what you are up to and reading your thoughts. It's just got me thinking:

"I don't know about you, but even though I have a great life, it's not always flowery and it's FAR from perfect! It's definitely a work in progress."

Don't get me wrong, I will continue to blog our family's important events and the joys that come along with being a wife and mother, but I just want to be more REAL about it. I do feel that through my blogging, I have shown glimpses of the good, the bad, and the ugly. I just want to remember the chaos and less-than-perfect parts of marriage and family. These parts are just as important to reminisce.

Cale is a true realist and is very honest (no exaggerations or sensationalizations coming from him) and has accused me of being an "eternal optimist"and sometimes putting on a happy face or front even if I don't feel that way. I think it's funny that he wants me to be less optimistic, but he has a point. It is important to recognize joy, happiness, excitement, and blessings, but it's also OK to recognize disappointments, frustration, and problems. It can't be all or nothing! Meaning one bad day doesn't makes for a bad life, one fight doesn't mean a bad marriage, or one inpatient moment where I lose my temper with my kids does not make me a bad mother.

So, in the spirit of "being real," here are a few things that we, as the Perriton family, fight about. Enjoy!

~Cale leaving his toiletries on the counter every morning before work, plus his underwear on the ground, and wet towels on the carpet. He doesn't even feel bad!
~Sunday evenings when I realize how messy the house is and that I have to clean it up Monday morning, which takes several hours and my whole day is shot.
~Me procrastinating the payment of bills when that is my responsibility. So Cale goes on a bill paying frenzy and pays them all at once.
~Me rarely cleaning out the car, leaving it just plain nasty.
~Me wanting to exercise AND sleep in on Saturday mornings, meaning Saturday mornings are all about Suzette!
~Brenna refusing to go potty on her own, usually insisting that I lift her on the potty and stand there and wait.
~Averie strongly resisting me doing her hair. So I just do the easiest thing possible to avoid the drama.
~One word: Football. Although I've kind of gotten over this. It only took me 12 years!
~Kempton being the king of dilly-dallying in the morning, making Averie almost late to school every day.
~Not to mention the constant fight between Kempton and Brenna over MY LAP.

6 comments:

Brooke Bennett said...

I'm so glad you posted all of this. That is one thing I absolutely hate about blogs.... everyone's lives seem so perfect.... except mine. I love blogs that are more 'real'!

Walker6Fam said...

I LOVE this! It is so true...people don't want to air the negative stuff but then it makes it seem like you have no problems. I may have to borrow this. You are very missed!

Brian, Emily, Violet, and Jack said...

Great post Suzette! I often feel the same way, you are in good company! I enjoy being able to stay connected through our blogs, love you friend!
p.s. Remember 69,79,99??! Why was that so funny to us, good memories!

Eardley Fam said...

Haha-LOVE THIS! I feel the exact same way-thank you for saying it out loud! I really enjoy your blog.

Fiagle Family said...

Remember the silly or bad times when your children color your toilet and use the whole bottle of soap in one bath keeps life interesting :)

Peterson's said...

And all this time I thought my sister was perfect. I'm thoroughly disappointed. :)