Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Monday, March 25, 2013

{be healthy} challenge

Pin It We are back from our 10 day Spring Break Vacation, we escaped the sub-zero snow and wind and headed south to the warmth of San Antonio.  This trip was very soothing for my soul, I soaked up the sun and went on long runs right outside my parent's door.  I ran with a smile on my face.  And I came home with the realization that it would be easier for me to be healthy if I lived in a warmer climate.  I had a hard time not coveting the lifestyle of year round warmer weather.  I love the heat, even the heat of July and August. 

I'm going to be straight forward here, and a little blunt: 

All of us who live with harsh and long winters must work much harder to be healthy than the rest of you.  I can say this out loud because I myself am a California girl, and remember how easy it was.

You have cheaper, fresher, and available produce.  Growing up we had fruit trees in our back yard that grew all. year. round.  There are fruit stands on every corner and the stores are filled with beautiful fresh vegetables and fruits.

You can just walk out your doorstep for morning, afternoon, and evening bike ride, walk, or run.



You don't have to pay a dime for a treadmill, gym membership, or exercise videos to get a great workout.  

You can enjoy the beauty of green growth and vegetation.

You can even bring your children along.  For us, it would be abuse to take our babies and toddlers out in this climate.  It hits 44 degrees and we are having picnics outside. 

You can enjoy the beauty of green growth and vegetation, and even when it gets unbearably hot, there is still a time period in the morning and evening where you can enjoy the outdoors on a regular basis. 

Do you know how lucky you are?!?! 

Last night we came home to 17 degrees. 

So back on the treadmill I go, luckily I have The View to pass the time.

And back to my frozen fruits and vegetables.  And my safe bagged carrots, apples, and bananas.  And paying an arm and a leg for peppers and asparagus. 

It is what it is, and I am done complaining!  haha
 
Even though I took a break last week from the {be healthy} blog challenge, I did challenge myself.  My goal was to maintain my weight.  This is hard to do when my husband and I have a passion for eating out on vacation, my Mom makes delicious meals, and my Dad pulls out the ice cream every night at 9:00 pm.  I did indulge last week, but I always ate less than I wanted to.  Plus I ran almost every day. 

 
 Post run pose, all sweaty but smiling! 
 
This week's challenge is to
 
RUN 5 MILES
 
You can jog, you can even speed walk.  It just has to be a consecutive 5 miles. 
 
Who's in?  I want to know.

No comments: