Here are a few nutritional tips that I tell anyone who asks me how to lose those extra pounds. I guarantee you will lose weight if you follow these simple tips. I say simple, not because they are easy, but because the ideas are basic:
- Do not eat after 7:00 pm, or about three hours before bed. Of course this does not apply to pregnant or nursing mothers. It is such a wonderful feeling to be hungry for breakfast.
- Cut out the soda! Drink at least 6- 80z. glasses of water each day.
- Reducing calories is key. There is no scientific evidence that proves otherwise.
- My favorite professor in college had her Doctorate in Nutrition and ANOTHER Doctorate in Exercise Physiology. I tell you this because she loved both exercise and nutrition. Her famous saying was, "It's 80% nutrition and 20% exercise!" This is how important nutrition is to weight loss.
- Do not buy any treats or snack foods at the grocery store. If it is in your home, you will eat it.
- Give yourself 1-2 free days each week. This is the day you can go out to dinner without counting servings, you can eat that ice cream you've been craving all week, and you can treat yourself! Reward yourself for doing well all week.
- In order to lose weight, your body needs to feed off of its existing sources. This means that it is KEY to feel a sense of hunger. I'm not talking about light-headedness or feeling like you are going to faint, but just a little hunger pain that is telling your body, "hmmmm, I want to eat something." If you never feel hungry, you will never lose weight.
- Never eat less than 1200 calories/day. This is called starvation mode and will only confuse your body.
Anyone who knows me well, knows that I love to eat!!! I am not your typical health nut. I believe in moderation and I do treat myself and never starve myself. I do not pay large amounts for fad health food. I refuse to pay an arm and a leg for organic foods. I don't take a ton of supplements, although a good multivitamin is definitely important. People who don't know me well always seem surprised when I'm the one who brings the fatty food to the party!!! :)
Nutrition is a science. The science cannot be disputed, but there are different ways to go about losing weight. For example: you can count calories, fat grams, serving sizes, eat three meals a day with one snack, each every two hours throughout the day, etc etc etc! I have many tricks up my sleeve including the above mentioned to help people lose weight (if they want to). I am happy to help anyone if they are ready and willing to reach their goal.