Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Monday, February 11, 2013

{5-a-Day} Challenge

Pin It
Last week's challenge was...how do I say...challenging.  But good.  In a challenging kind of way. 
 

I think we all missed chewing, by day three I had to eat some of the food instead of blend it.   
By day three, our energy was depleted.  And we began to feel lightheaded.
We craved foods other than vegetables and fruits.
And we probably won't want a Kale smoothie for a while!
 
But in the end, everyone who completed the cleanse thought it was worth it.
Here is some of what was said about the experience:
 
"If anything we had fun.  It was nice for everyone to have something to be proud of.  As Moms we get so busy with everything that we forget to accomplish things for ourselves....This is a great way for everyone to prove to ourself that we are capable of being in control of our bodies.  It gave us motivation to keep up the good work.  So we won't have to find it necessary to do a cleanse again.  hehe"
 
"I like to prove to myself that I have willpower...it just feels good to reboot my system."
 
"I'm definitely glad its over! I was not as hungry as I thought I would be which was nice... I did feel empowered after the whole deal and the baths were super relaxing. Good experience over all and I lost a few pounds which was awesome!"
  
My experience was the same as the others, but I'd like to add that I felt nourished.  It sounds strange, to feel nourished and hungry at the same time.  It felt like I was pumped full of vitamins and minerals.  Plus fiber, can't forget that.  Lots and lots of fiber means....well, you know what that means.  Give it a try and you will see what I mean.  My suggestion is to gather your friends and do this together! 
  
Not wanting to lose momentum from last week's challenge, this week's challenge is to:
 
 Eat {at least} 5 fruits and vegetables each day. 
Try for more vegetables than fruit.
 
 
15 EASY ways to get 5 a day...
 
1)  Make a smoothie with fruits AND green leafy vegetables
2)  Make a fruit parfait with greek yogurt and blueberries.
3)  Go to the store and purchase broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, etc. Immediately upon returning home, cut it all up and you have veggies to snack on!
4)  Make an egg white omelet with vegetables of your choice (I like tomatoes, spinach, peppers, mushrooms, etc)
5)  Always serve a side of vegetables with dinner (my favorite are green beans, asparagus, broccoli, brussel sprouts). 
6)  Use spaghetti squash instead of pasta or rice in your favorite dish.
7)  Order extra vegetables when eating out. 
8)  Make your own marinara sauce with carrots, celery, and tomatoes (recipe to come).
9)  Use greens other than iceberg lettuce in your salads.
10)  Introduce a "Meatless Monday" dinner each week.
11)  Make stir-fry dinners on a regular basis.
12)  Put a tray of vegetables and fruit out while you are preparing dinner. 
13)  Add fruit to your whole-grain cereal.
14)  Use tomatoes to make a fresh salsa.  Mix tomatoes, onion, garlic, and cilantro.
 
15)  How do you get your 5 a day?  Do tell!

2 comments:

Marcie Tess said...

Smoothie, smoothie and more smoothie. I also looovvee making salsa. What category does an avocado fall?

Suzette said...

An avocado falls under the fat category. Specifically a good fat (monounsaturated and polyunsaturated), similar to olive oil and nuts. A serving size is 1/8 of an avocado because it has 5 grams of fat and 45 calories per serving. A little goes a long way, just like nuts and seeds. You will get the nutritional benefits from a small amount, similar to olive oil. It is technically a fruit because it has a pit, but categorized nutritionally as a fat because of it's high fat and caloric content. No need to shy away from good fats, in a 1500 calorie diet, you still need 5 fat servings each day! :) Just can't count as a fruit or vegetable...