Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Sunday, February 3, 2013

weekly {be healthy} challenge: 3 Day Cleanse

Pin It
I am very excited and pretty nervous for this first {be healthy} challenge.  If I weren't a little nervous then it probably wouldn't be very challenging...or at least this is what I'm telling myself.  I know it will be difficult because I love food.  Specifically eating food.  The different textures, the crunch, the chewing.  Oh the chewing!  I will miss all of these things.  And I may even want to curl up in the fetal position by day three.  So if this is how you feel, just know you are not alone. 

You may want to do a cleanse if:

-You are a sugar-a-holic
-You have digestive issues...aka diarrhea, constipation, gas, etc.
-You eat a lot of processed foods
-You don't like vegetables
-You often feel bloated
-You feel fatigued
-You are addicted to caffeine
-You have food allergies
-You want to jump-start healthy eating and/or weight loss

The main reason I want to do this cleanse is for the good ol' feeling that comes from "mind over matter."  I want to see if I have enough self-discipline to eat for nourishment alone.  Not for enjoyment or emotions.  Am I strong enough?  We shall see.  Are you strong enough?  I am sure.
 
A safe cleanse is one that doesn't make you starve yourself, take fancy pills, potions or expensive drinks.  All you need are 3 days, a blender, and $16 each day:
  
You may experience a few side effects including irritability, hunger, headaches (if you are addicted to caffeine), bowel changes, and fatigue.  These are all normal, but surprisingly enough, exercising for 30 minutes each day may help boost your energy.  Drinking plenty of water will actually help, along with getting enough rest.
 
Here are a few additional hints:
 
If you aren't a green tea drinker [like me], you can either choose an herbal tea of your choice or water with lemon. 
 
If you are pregnant or in the early stages of nursing, this cleanse is great for you too.  Please add the following to your detox each day:  3 egg whites, 3 ounces chicken breast, 1 cup shelled edamame
 
You may use frozen blueberries and raspberries as long as they are unsweetened.
 
Be sure to carefully measure cayenne pepper!
 
I really love Dr. Oz.  He knows his stuff and what comes out of his mouth is valid.  Sometimes he has wacky "experts" on his show, so we can't believe everything that is professed during that hour, but I think he does the best at combining the medical field with holistic medicine.  I trust him because he knows the science behind nutrition, exercise, and health.  He is a genius and logical, but open-minded. 
 
It doesn't matter to me what days you decide to do this challenge, as long as it is three days in a row.  Keep me updated on your progress and I don't mind listening to you complain as long as you don't. give. up.  
 
Who wants to join me?  Please leave me your feedback, progress, and questions in the comment section attached to this post.  I'm here to help.  And don't forget to follow this blog and join my facebook page for updates.




2 comments:

Denise said...

So, this MEGA freaks me out but I'm doing it!!! I can do anything for 3 days right? I might be writing in for some much needed moral support tomorrow when I have no solid food! EEekk! Looking forward to the evening bath and Friday :)

Meggan said...

I am going to do this! I am Jenna Little's new neighbor and she told me about this. What herbal tea did you drink in the morning?